Apple Rejects App for Lacking Functionality, then Releases it Itself
Apple’s approval policies for the App Store are well known. Whether it is because there is a lack of interest, offensive content, or a functionality not supported by iOS, Apple rejects new apps left and right. It was therefore no surprise to anyone that Apple rejected an app calledÂ Ads Tube, that aggregated all of Apple’s ads into one place.
Apple recently threw its gloves into the mobile advertising ring with its own ad platform, iAd. Of course coming from Apple, iAd is well known for its interactive ads and beautiful design, so when a developer (who you can see in the video below) decided to put all those iAd banners into one app, she had no reason to believe Apple would reject it.
To her surprise, the app was indeed rejected for a “lack of functionality”, and joined the long list of apps turned away from the Apple kingdom. Again, no surprises there… However, here is where it gets interesting.
Apple announced today that it is releasing a new app called iAd Gallery. Can you guess what the app does? Yes, it displays all of Apple’s advertisements in one place. Wait, so let me get this straight. Apple rejected an app from a developer, not because it invaded Apple’s territory but because it lacked any value for users, and then Apple goes on and releases the very same app itself? That has to be some sort of record.
We have heard of apps being rejected because they claim to be too close to something that Apple itself does. See Google Voice. This case is different. The way I see it, there are two options here. Either Apple blatantly lied to this developer by covering up the rejection with a “lack of functionality” excuse, because Apple was about to release their own version of the same app, or they liked the idea so much, that they rejected it and stole the concept to develop their own version. Either way, doesn’t look too good for Apple.
iAd is one of many ad networks in the mobile marketing landscape. There is no denying the great job Apple did with their in-app ads, but when you work with inneractive and our 70+ integrated ad networks, you get global access to ad networks and local ad agencies. This translates directly into a higher fill rate and more money in the pocket of the developer.
What do you think of this move by Apple and are you surprised?
Please share your thoughts in the comments or on Twitter, Google+, or Facebook where we are always listening.
In addition, to sign up with inneractive and start monetizing your free apps now, click here.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
- Apple Rejects App for Lacking Functionality, then Releases it Itself Tip | Whats going on!
- Apple rejects iPhone app for lack of functionality, later releases app with same functionality itself - SlashGear
- Apple rejects iPhone app for lack of functionality, later releases app with same functionality itself | Next Apple Stuff
- Apple rejects iPhone app for lack of functionality, later releases app with … – JailBake
- Apple rejects iPhone app for lack of functionality, later releases app with … | Apple Online
- Apple’s New “iAd Gallery” App Violates Apple’s App Guidelines And Probably Should Have Been Rejected - Finding Out About
- Is Apple Wrong for Breaking Its Own App Store Rules?: Apple News, Tips and Reviews «
- Apple iAd Gallery iOS App: All Ads No Functionally | Apple Online
- New Apple App Showcases iAds | Apple Online
- Apple’s New “iAd Gallery” App Violates Apple’s App Guidelines And Probably … | Apple Online
- Apple Releases iAd Gallery, Rejects Identical Third Party App
- Is Apple Wrong for Breaking Its Own App Store Rules? | GadgetUpdated
- Apple se pasa la mano asÃ mismo con la aplicaciÃ³n iAd Gallery - Gizmodo ES - The gadgets weblog
- Apple’s New ‘iAd Gallery’ App Violates Apple’s App Guidelines | Gizmodo Australia
- Apple se pasa la mano asÃ mismo con la aplicaciÃ³n iAd Gallery at BytNews
- Apple se pasa la mano a sÃ mismo con la aplicaciÃ³n iAd Gallery at BytNews
- Apple eksik iÅŸlevler gerekÃ§esiyle reddettiÄŸi iOS uygulamasÄ±nÄ±n aynÄ±sÄ±nÄ± kendisi Ã§Ä±kardÄ± - Teknoblog
- iAd Gallery breaks App Store guidelines – so what? « Mac City
- iAd Gallery breaks App Store guidelines – so what?
- iAd Gallery breaks App Store guidelines - so what?
- iAd Gallery breaks App Store guidelines â€“ so what? | logic software services
- iAd Gallery breaks App Store guidelines – so what? | Next Apple Stuff
- Mac+ » Aplicativo iAd Gallery viola regras da App Store
- Una aplicaciÃ³n de Apple vulnera las reglas de la compaÃ±Ãa | IlNeurone Espana
- HATE Android or Apple? | Eric Hewett
- [NEWS] Apple Rejects App, Then Releases it Itself | The inneractive Blog | blending the mix